How to Make a Homemade Vapor Rub to Soothe Cold Symptoms
This blog does not intend to provide diagnosis...
In this article:
Vapor rubs are beneficial for relieving congestion and suppressing a cough. This product is typically sold over the counter and is applied to the chest and throat area, but a homemade version works well, too.
The common cold and flu symptoms can be harsh on the respiratory system. One benefit of vapor rub is that it provides temporary relief for aches and pains that are sourced to the joints and muscles.
The three main ingredients found in store-bought vapor rub include eucalyptus oil, menthol and camphor. These ingredients are cough suppressants and topical analgesics. Research has shown that there are health risks with using products containing ingredients that are toxic. When possible, it may be beneficial to replace items containing chemicals with natural alternatives.
For the symptoms of the cold and flu, menthol, the active ingredient in vapor rub, acts as a nasal decongestant when passively inhaled. The homemade natural version of vapor rub creates a similar soothing effect through essential oils. These oils may be just as effective for opening up the respiratory system and relieving muscle aches and pains.
- Jar or container for storage
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 3 Tbs. of grated beeswax
- 20 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- Melt the beeswax in a glass jar by placing it over a saucepan of hot water.
- Stir the olive oil and coconut oil into the melted beeswax.
- Once cooled, add in the peppermint and eucalyptus oils.
- Allow the mixture to set in the storage container.
- Rub the mixture to the chest or throat area to relieve congestion.
- For muscle aches and pains, apply the mixture to the affected area.