Turmeric Rice and Black Bean Bowl
By Sharon Palmer, RD
This exotic, golden yellow rice bowl—topped with black beans, pomegranate seeds, and avocado slices—is packed with powerful nutrients, as well as bold flavor. It is also vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (may substitute with an antioxidant oil blend)
- 1 cup brown basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (or substitute crystalized ginger)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- Sea salt (optional, as desired)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained (or substitute cooked black turtle beans)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (try goji berries as an alternative)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot.
- Add basmati rice, ginger, garlic, turmeric, and black pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add water and vegetable bouillon, stir well, cover, and cook over medium heat—stirring occasionally to prevent from sticking—for about 40 minutes, until just tender, but not mushy. Stir in lemon juice and season with sea salt. Stir well and heat for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide turmeric rice into bowls (2 for large servings, or 4 for small servings). Divide the toppings among the servings (2 or 4) and arrange on top of the rice: black beans, bell pepper, pomegranate seeds, avocado, green onions, and cilantro.
Makes 2 large servings or 4 small